Here’s a question we often get from customers : what’s the difference between genuine leather boxing gloves and synthetic leather boxing gloves?
Genuine leather boxing gloves typically use cow hide or other animal leather for their exterior. Sourced in different grades, it’s finishing and processing impacts how it feels on the glove. If minimally processed and finished, leather is naturally durable yet supple. Processing and finishing allow for a wide variety of textures and colors.
Minimally finished leather can more readily absorb moisture. This can make it an easy breeding ground for bacteria. Constant moisture also degrades the leather, causing it to break down. So, genuine leather equipment needs to be thoroughly dried after every, single use. This also avoids discoloration and keeps your gloves looking good. Real leather needs to be conditioned on a regular basis.
In this day and age, real leather boxing gloves are available in many colors. A prime example of a high quality, genuine leather glove available in a wide range of colors are the Windy BGVH Muay Thai Gloves – over 10 different colors in the same great quality leather.
Synthetic leather is a microfiber fabric engineered to look and feel just like leather. It is typically lighter weight than natural leather, but has proven to be just as durable. Synthetic leather is water resistant, which makes it a low maintenance, easy to clean alternative to leather. It’s engineered for maximum performance and doesn’t require regular conditioning like natural leather does. Synthetic leather also costs less and is an animal friendly option.
So, what does this all mean when choosing Muay Thai equipment?
A lot of it has to do with personal preference. Genuine leather gloves give an unforgettable pop on the bag and pads. It’s also said that genuine leather can last longer than synthetic leather, but without proper TLC, this isn’t necessarily true. At a time where sanitizing gym equipment has become a top priority, it is important to have gear that can go that extra mile. Genuine leather fibers will break down quickly if disinfected and treated the same way as a microfiber fabric.
Design, pattern, and color options are endless with microfiber fabric. If you’re looking for a special style, synthetic may be your best bet.
What is Fairtex Syntek?
Syntek is Fairtex’s signature synthetic leather material. It’s engineered for top performance and is just as durable as the real deal. Fairtex uses this material for most of their heavy bags, along with a variety of striking pads and gloves. Larger striking pads use synthetic material to keep them lightweight as possible.
Fairtex Products that use Genuine Leather:
- Standard Curved Kick Pads (Fairtex KPLC2)
- Extra Thick Curved Kick Pads (Fairtex KPLC3)
- Superior Curved Kicks Pads (Fairtex KPLS2)
- Pro Angular Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV8)
- Ultimate Contoured Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV9)
- Classic Pro Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV10)
- Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV1)
- Angular Sparring Gloves (Fairtex BGV6)
- Mexican Style Pro Training Gloves (Fairtex BGV9)
- Real Leather Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV16)
- Genuine Leather Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV20)
- Legacy Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV21)
- “The Beauty of Survival” Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV24)
- Glory Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGVG)
- Lace Up Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGL6)
- Bag Gloves (Fairtex TGT7)
- MMA Sparring Gloves (Fairtex FGV15)
- MMA Super Sparring Gloves (Fairtex FGV17)
- Boxing Sticks (Fairtex BXS1)
- Super Sparring Headgear (Fairtex HG10)
- Diagonal View Headgear (Fairtex HG13)
- 3-foot Tear Drop Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB4)
- Lightweight Belly Pad (Fairtex BPV2)
- Standard Leather Belly Pad (Fairtex BPV1)
Fairtex Products that use Syntek Leather:
- F-Day Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV11)
- Microfiber Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV14)
- Metallic Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV22)
- F-Day2 Boxing Gloves (Fairtex BGV25)
- Competition Shin Pads (Fairtex SP5)
- Detachable In-step Shin Pads (Fairtex SP7)
- Ultimate Shin Pads (Fairtex SP8)
- Extra Padding Lightweight Belly Pad (Fairtex BPV3)
- Lightweight Kick Pads (Fairtex KPLC5)
- Single Strap Kick Pads (Fairtex KPLC6)
- Curved Kick Shield (Fairtex FS3)
- Thigh Pads (Fairtex TP3)
- Compact Thigh Pads (Fairtex TP4)
- Trainer Vest (Fairtex TV1)
- Trainer Vest (Fairtex TV2)
- Protective Vest (Fairtex PV1)
- Boxing Paddles (Fairtex BXP1)
- Aero Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV11)
- Angular Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV12)
- Speed & Accuracy Focus Mitts (Fairtex FMV15)
- Classic Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB2)
- Extra Large Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB3)
- 4-foot Syntek Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB5)
- 6-foot Muay Thai Banana Bag (Fairtex HB6)
- 7-foot Pole Bag (Fairtex HB7)
- Bowling Bag (Fairtex HB10)
- Uppercut Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB11)
- Angle Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB12)
- Super Angle Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB13)
- Super Tear Drop Heavy Bag (Fairtex HB15)
What do you look for when you’re buying Muay Thai Equipment? Easy to clean and lightweight Fairtex Syntek, or their traditional leather? Let us know your preference in the comments.